Updated 8 October 2016
14E.1.1 Objective – Bulk and Scale of Buildings in the High Density Residential Zone
Buildings that are of a bulk and scale that provide for high density residential development while balancing these opportunities with the outstanding natural landscape and historic heritage values of Mauao and Hopukiore, and the natural landscape features of the coastal and harbour edges, decreasing in height from Mauao towards Commons Avenue and Hopukiore, and from the centre of the isthmus to the coast.
14E.1.1.1 Policy – Bulk and Scale of Buildings in the High Density Residential Zone – Height
By defining areas of permitted height through:
- A High Rise Plan Area where an absolute maximum height is identified that provides an appropriate relationship of high density residential development to the outstanding natural features and landscapes and historic heritage values of Mauao and Hopukiore, and the natural landscape features of the coastal and harbour edges, while limiting the potential adverse effects of accelerated wind speed and overshadowing on adjacent residential development;
- Limiting the height of buildings within the zone and adjacent to the High Rise Plan Area to a scale compatible with the Suburban Residential Zone, and ensuring development is subservient to the landscape values afforded by:
- The Norfolk Island Pines along Marine Parade and The Mall;
- The outstanding natural features and landscapes and historic heritage values of Mauao and Hopukiore;
- The coastal environment;
- The relationship of tangata whenua with Mauao and Hopukiore.
14E.1.1.2 Policy – Bulk and Scale of Buildings in the High Density Residential Zone Overshadowing
By defining a permitted building envelope to ensure that:
- There is an adequate supply of daylight for sites adjacent to, but outside, the High Rise Plan Area;
- All other sites in the zone (i.e., outside the High Rise Plan Area) receive an adequate supply of daylight.
14E.1.2 Objective – Site Layout and Building Design in the High Density Residential Zone
Buildings within the zone provide a residential amenity characterised by open space between sites and a streetscape comprised of consistent building setbacks and opportunities for frontage landscape planting.
14E.1.2.1 Policy - Site Layout and Building Design in the High Density Residential Zone
By ensuring that the layout and design of development within the zone:
- Provides building setbacks between sites that ensure a physical separation of buildings between sites, access for building maintenance, and contributes to the visual and aural privacy of adjoining sites;
- Ensures that buildings are setback from the road boundary to provide a streetscape with opportunities for landscape planting, that encourages passive surveillance of the street, and contributes to a high level of amenity at the public-private interface;
- Recognises that a component of the amenity of the zone is the proximity and access to open space and leisure activities, and so not requiring dedicated on-site outdoor living areas.
14E.1.3 Objective – Density of Development in the High Density Residential Zone
A high density residential environment close to Mount Maunganui’s town centre characterised by permanent residential and visitor accommodation in the form of multi unit and apartment housing, including some high rise development opportunities.
14E.1.3.1 Policy - Residential Diversity and Densities
By providing for a mix of residential activities and visitor accommodation to establish at a high density with specifically defined on-site development controls for permitted development. For other development, regard is to be had to:
- The special environmental qualities of the area that will influence the degree of building density beyond that permitted, such as but not limited to the heritage and landscape values of Mauao and Hopukiore, and the coastal environment of Ocean Beach and Pilot Bay;
- The role of the area to enable a variety of visitor accommodation;
- The capacity of existing and planned infrastructure, including public open space.
14E.1.4 Objective – Activities in the High Density Residential Zone
Development within the zone is characterised by a predominance of high density residential activity for both permanent dwellings and visitor accommodation.
14E.1.4.1 Policy – Activities in the High Density Residential Zone
By ensuring that:
- High density residential development that provides for permanent dwellings and visitor accommodation is the predominant activity in the zone. Limiting the establishment of non-residential activity in accordance with the general objective and policies for activities in Residential Zones other than for cafes and restaurants only that can be considered at ground floor within buildings located wholly within the High Rise Plan Area.
- By providing for a limited expansion of existing legally established offices on sites in the zone, in recognition of the previous investment in such properties under previous planning provisions.