Updated 11 September 2018
17A.7.1 Objective – Bulk and Scale of Buildings in the Commercial, Wairakei Town Centre Zone and Wairakei Neighbourhood Centre Zone
Buildings are sufficient to provide and adapt to the needs of business and mixed use activities while positively contributing to the surrounding landscape character, and that do not compromise the amenity of the surrounding environment.
17A.7.1.1 Policy – Bulk and Scale of Buildings in the Commercial, Wairakei Town Centre and Wairakei Neighbourhood Centre Zones
By providing a building envelope sufficient to provide for business and mixed use activities that:
- Ensures the maintenance and enhancement of the surrounding urban amenity values;
- Provides sufficient development potential for business and mixed use activities to establish and adapt;
- Does not compromise the purpose or anticipated amenity of surrounding zones.
17A.7.2 Objective – Site Layout and Building Design in the Commercial, Wairakei Town Centre Zone and Wairakei Neighbourhood Centre Zone
Buildings and structures within the zones provide for a safe, accessible and pleasant commercial environment that has regard to the interface with public spaces, the amenity of adjacent zones and the protection of the natural character of the City.
17A.7.2.1 Policy – Site Layout and Building Design in the Commercial, Wairakei Town Centre and Wairakei Neighbourhood Centre Zones
By requiring the layout and design of development within the zones to:
- Provide for the identified pedestrian environment streets where there is a focus on support of a pedestrian-orientated environment through:
- Passive surveillance and interaction with the street through active street frontages;
- Provision of continuous weather protection for pedestrians through verandas over footpaths;
- Restricting additional vehicle access;
- Recognising the operational requirements of the various forms of development anticipated in the Commercial Zone, Wairakei Town Centre and Wairakei Neighbourhood Centre Zones;
- Ensuring that activities opposite a sensitive zone or adjacent to an area of natural character do not diminish the amenity of that zone or area by:
- Requiring commercial development opposite a sensitive zone to provide either frontage landscape planting or an active building frontage to the road;
- Ensuring that activities have regard to the amenity of adjacent zones by providing a physical separation of activities and building form to minimise disturbance, visual intrusion and overshadowing of the sensitive zone, while recognising the nature of development proposed and development on adjacent land may mitigate the issue of the proximity between the two zones;
- Ensuring development is appropriately setback from areas of natural character, or land within the Conservation Zone sufficient to preserve the amenity, character and intrinsic natural values of those areas.
17A.7.3 Objective – Activities Within the Commercial, Wairakei Town Centre and Wairakei Neighbourhood Centre Zones
Development within the zones is characterised predominantly by business activities, integrated with mixed use, civic and community facilities.
17A.7.3.1 Policy – Activities Within the Commercial, Wairakei Town Centre and Wairakei Neighbourhood Centre Zones
By providing for business, civic and community uses in the zones, integrated with residential activities where:
- Residential development mitigates the potential impacts of noise from business activities on the amenity of that residential activity;
- Residential activity is located above ground floor level or at the rear of sites so it doesn’t interrupt a continuous business, civic and community activity frontage at ground floor level;
- Residential activities are permitted to occur at a high density;
- Residential development does not compromise the efficient distribution of a network of commercial centres, and provides a level of amenity consistent with medium density development in the Suburban Residential Zone.