Updated 14 December 2018
Note: Where an activity does not comply with a Permitted Activity rule it shall be considered a Restricted Discretionary Activity unless stated otherwise.
Note: All activities located within the Education Centre 2 Zone are required to either (a) comply with the Operative On-site Effluent Treatment Regional Plan, (b) obtain the appropriate resource consent(s) from the Regional Council or (c) provide a connection to a sanitary sewerage system.
19C.1.1 Building Height
- The maximum height of any building, with the exception of the permitted intrusions in Rule 4H.2.3 – Permitted Height and Viewshaft Protection Area Intrusions, shall be 12 metres;
- Provided that no building or structure within any identified Viewshaft Protection Area, with the exception of the permitted intrusions in Rule 4H.2.3 – Permitted Height and Viewshaft Protection Area Intrusions shall exceed the maximum height identified within the Plan Maps (Part B).
Note: Any activity that does not comply with Permitted Activity Rule 19C.1.1 – Building Height shall be considered a Discretionary Activity.
All buildings, with the exception of the permitted intrusions in Rule 4H.2.2 – Permitted Overshadowing Envelope Intrusions, shall be within the building envelope in accordance with Appendix 14C: Overshadowing.
All buildings, with the exception of the permitted intrusions in Rule 4H.2.1 – Permitted Setback Intrusions, shall provide a minimum setback of 1.5 metres from a side or rear boundary.
- All buildings shall be set back a minimum of 10 metres from the Welcome Bay Road and Water Lane boundaries;
- All buildings on a site adjoining a Road Widening designation (as identified on Plan Maps, Part B) shall have the setback measured from that designation boundary;
- All buildings and activities shall provide frontage landscaping comprising a mix of trees, shrubs and groundcovers contiguous to, and to a width of, at least 2 metres measured from a road frontage boundary exclusive of permitted vehicle accessways. For the purposes of this rule, a road frontage boundary is that boundary that adjoins the formed portion of Welcome Bay Road and Water Lane boundaries;
- The provision of on-site parking shall not be located within the required setback provision for Rule 19C.1.4 - Streetscape, or within Sub-Zone B in accordance with Appendix 19B: Education Centre 2 Zone (Faith Bible College – Sub-Zones A & B) Outline Development Plan.
19C.1.5 Variation Criteria
A building may penetrate the building envelope required by Rule 19C.1.2 - Overshadowing and/or be constructed closer to a site boundary than Permitted by Rule 19C.1.3 - Setbacks where:
- The written approval of those property owners and occupiers whose properties adjoin the proposed non-compliance has been obtained before the building works relating to the encroachment being undertaken;
- That written approval is clearly endorsed on all relevant building consent plans or other plans that show encroachment;
- The written approval and endorsed plans have been provided to Council for registration on the appropriate property file(s);
- ‘Adjoining’ for the purpose of this rule shall mean:
- For the purposes of Rule 19C.1.2 – Overshadowing, all those properties directly adjoining the boundary at which the overshadowing envelope is encroached upon and those separated from the subject site by vehicle or pedestrian access ways, private ways, access legs, rights of way, or access lots (excluding public roads), only where the subject building encroaches the overshadowing envelope as applied at the boundary of that property;
- For the purposes of Rule 19C.1.3 – Setbacks, all those properties directly adjoining the boundary at which the setback is encroached upon and those separated from the subject site by vehicle or pedestrian access ways, private ways, access legs, rights of way, or access lots (excluding public roads) only where the subject building is to be located within 1.5 metres of that property boundary.
19C.1.6 Traffic Management, Safety and Convenience
The site entrance shall be formed and constructed to the following standard:
- A deceleration taper of at least 20 metres long on the north side of Welcome Bay Road to enable left-turning traffic to move clear of through-traffic travelling east;
- Seal widening of at least 20 metres long and 2.5 metres wide opposite the Welcome Bay Road entrance with 1 in 15 tapers either side to enable right-turning manoeuvring for traffic travelling west.
19C.1.7 Rules in Other Sections of the Plan
Activities within the Education Centre 2 Zone shall also comply with the following Permitted Activity conditions found within other sections of the Plan, where relevant:
- The provisions of Chapter 4 – General Rules;
- The provisions of Chapter 7 - Heritage;
- The provision of Chapter 8 - Natural Hazards;
- The provisions of Chapter 9 - Hazardous Substances and Contaminated Land;
- The provisions of Chapter 11 – Financial Contributions;
- The provisions of Chapter 12 - Subdivision, Services and Infrastructure, Section 12G – Purpose of Service and Infrastructure Provisions;
- The provisions of any Plan Area.
Definitions in this section
viewshaft protection area