Updated 11 September 2018
10B.1.1 Objective - Electricity Transmission Network
The importance of the high-voltage transmission network to the City’s, regions and nation’s social and economic wellbeing is recognised and provided for.
10B.1.1.1 Policy – Electricity Transmission Network
By providing for the sustainable, secure and efficient use and development of the high-voltage transmission network within the City, while seeking that adverse effects on the environment are avoided, remedied or mitigated to the extent practicable, recognising the technical and operational requirements and constraints of the network.
10B.1.1.2 Policy – Identifying Electricity Transmission Network
By identifying the City’s high-voltage transmission network.
10B.1.1.3 Policy – Adverse Effects on the Electricity Transmission Network
By ensuring that subdivision, use and development does not adversely affect and is not at risk of being adversely affected by the safe and efficient operation of the high-voltage transmission network.
10B.1.1.4 Policy – Subdivision, Use and Development within Transmission Line Corridors
By providing for subdivision, use and development that:
- Does not compromise the safe and efficient functioning of the transmission network;
- Ensures compliance with the New Zealand Electrical Code of Practice for Electrical Safe Distances (NZECP 34:2001);
- Avoids locating built development under the conductors, including within their area of swing, and around support structures, and ensures suitable building platforms are identified at the time of subdivision;
- Recognises that compatible activities, such as infrastructure, roads or open space areas, can be appropriately located under or in close proximity to lines traversing greenfield areas;
- Recognises the need for an efficient, integrated land use and development pattern between landholdings especially where there are varying land ownership and/or tenure patterns;
- Provides for practicable access to the line and support structures;
- Recognises existing built development and redevelopment opportunities where there are appropriate safeguards in place to avoid contact or flashovers with high voltage electricity transmission lines and to avoid adverse effects on the stability of support structures.
Definitions in this section
high-voltage transmission network