Updated 9 September 2013
20A.1.1 Objective – Role and Function
Development of Baypark supports its role and function as the principal multi-purpose events facility for the City and sub-region.
20A.1.1.1 Policy – Role and Function
By providing for the role and function of Baypark through:
- Enabling a wide range of event-related commercial, promotional, recreational, cultural, civic and educational activities to establish and operate;
- Maintaining and enhancing opportunities for commercial, recreational, cultural, civic, and educational events that serve the City and sub-regional population.
20A.1.2 Objective – Bulk and Scale of Buildings and Structures
Buildings and structures are of a bulk and scale sufficient to provide for the needs of activities, while not compromising the landscape character or amenity of the surrounding environment.
20A.1.2.1 Policy – Bulk and Scale of Buildings and Structures
By limiting the building envelope sufficient to provide for development, while:
- Ensuring the maintenance of landscape character of the surrounding environment;
- Ensuring the amenity of the surrounding environment is not compromised;
- Ensuring the effects of development are mitigated by landscaping and appropriate building form where the building envelope is exceeded.
20A.1.3 Objective – Site Layout and Building Design
Development is unrestricted in the layout and design of buildings, provided regard is had to the amenity of the surrounding environment, or area of natural character where development shall have regard to the amenity of that area.
20A.1.3.1 Policy – Site Layout and Building Design
By providing an unrestricted layout and design of buildings, while ensuring that:
- Development opposite a sensitive zone provides landscape planting to soften and integrate the development;
- Activities have regard to the amenity of adjacent zones by providing a physical separation and a building form to minimise noise, disturbance, visual intrusion and overshadowing of the sensitive zone;
- Development is appropriately setback from areas of natural character, or land zoned Conservation.
20A.1.4 Objective – Adverse Effects on the Surrounding Environment
Buildings, structures, and activities do not adversely affect the amenity values, landscape character, or heritage values of the surrounding environment.
20A.1.4.1 Policy - Adverse Effects on the Surrounding Environment
By ensuring the siting, design, operation and maintenance of activities:
- Emits acceptable levels of noise and light to sensitive zones;
- Maintains the landscape character and streetscape of the surrounding environment, including the imitigation of visual effects of the buildings when viewed from State Highway 2, 29 and Truman Lane;
- Do not damage or destroy indigenous flora and fauna, or heritage, cultural or archaeological values;
- Do not damage waterways and associated ecosystems;
- Signs, including the proliferation of signage, are to be designed and located to ensure there are no adverse effects on traffic safety.
20A.1.5 Objective – Safety, Efficiency and Sustainability of the Transport Network
The safety, efficiency and sustainability of the transport network is not adversely affected by activities at Baypark.
20A.1.5.1 Policy - Safety, Efficiency and Sustainability of the Transport Network
By ensuring that site layout, and on-site development and operations:
- Do not compromise the integrated, safe, sustainable and efficient function of the transport network;
- Enable and encourage all patrons to park conveniently within Baypark, rather than within the Road Zone or in the surrounding area;
- Provide alternative modes of transport;
- Provide for traffic flows on the state highway and rail corridor that will increase substantially over the long term;
- Provide for the effects likely to arise as the scale of events increases.