Updated 22 March 2021
The qualities of the environment that give the City recognisable character. These qualities may be ecological, physical (including landscape), spiritual, cultural or aesthetic in nature. They include modified and managed environments.
Has the same meaning as contained in the Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA), and means any atmospheric or earth or water related occurrence (including earthquake, tsunami, erosion, volcanic and geothermal activity, landslip, subsidence, sedimentation, wind, drought, fire or flooding) the action of which adversely affects or may adversely affect human life, property, or other aspects of the environment.
"Natural Hazard Susceptibility"
"Means land subject to, or likely subject to, the following natural hazards:
- Erosion (open coast) being land susceptible to a 5% probability of exceedance taking into account the effects of sea level based on the RCP 8.5 median scenario as of the year 2130; and/or
- Erosion (inner harbour), being land susceptible to a 66% probability of exceedance taking into account the effects of sea level based on the RCP 8.5 median scenario as of the year 2130; and/or
- Inundation (harbour), being land susceptible to a 1% annual exceedance probability (AEP) taking into account the effects of sea level based on the RCP 8.5 median scenario as of the year 2130; and/or
- Liquefaction and Lateral Spread, where land damage is categorised as ‘minor to moderate’ or ‘moderate to severe’ as defined in the MBIE/MfE Guidance (2017). Planning and Engineering Guidance for Potentially Liquefaction Prone Land. Dated September 2017. Rev. 1 taking into account the effects of sea level based on the RCP 8.5 median scenario as of the year 2130 (and associated effects on the ground water table).
Note: Tauranga City Council holds GIS information of the spatial extent of land subject to the above natural hazards. If the applicant considers the location of the extent of the natural hazard boundaries to be different to those boundaries defined on Councils GIS mapping, then additional information shall be included with the building, landuse or subdivision consent to determine the location of these boundaries in the context of the application."
Plan Change 26 – No legal effect
Land that is primarily provided for use by local communities for casual recreation, play, relaxation, community activity, links to other areas or quiet open space. Neighbourhood reserves also provide visual contrast in the urban environment.
nett developable area
Means a given area of land for greenfield subdivision/development and includes land used for:
- Residential activity purposes, including all open space and on-site parking associated with dwellings;
- Local roads and roading corridors, including pedestrian and cycleways (and excluding expressways, motorways, strategic roads and arterial roads as defined in the road hierarchy);
- Collector roads and roading corridors (as defined in the road hierarchy) where direct access from allotments is obtained. Where only one side of the collector road or roading corridor has direct access only 50% of the collector road or roading corridor shall be used for the purpose of this definition;
- Neighbourhood reserves;
- But excludes land that is:
- Stormwater ponds and detention areas;
- Geotechnically constrained (such as land subject to subsidence or inundation);
- Set aside to protect significant ecological, cultural, heritage or landscape values;
- Set aside for non-local recreation, esplanade reserves or access strips that form part of a larger regional, sub-regional, or district network;
- Identified or used for non-residential activities including business activities, schools, network utilities, health centres, or other district, regional or sub-regional facilities.
"nett internal floor area"
"The sum of the floor areas, each measured to the inside of the exterior walls of the building or buildings. It includes the floor area of any accessory building or storage areas, but excludes any floor area used for:
- Void areas such as liftwells and stair wells, including landing areas;
- Shared corridors and mall common spaces;
- Entrances, lobbies and plant areas within a building;
- Open or roofed outdoor areas, and external balconies, decks, porches and terraces;
- Off street loading areas;
- Building service rooms;
- Parking areas and basement areas used for parking, manoeuvring and access; and
- Non-habitable floor spaces in rooftop structure."
Plan Change 26 – No legal effect
nett site area
The area of a site less any area of that site that is solely for the purpose of providing access to the site and for clarity also excludes:
- An entrance strip owned in common with the owners of other sites;
- Any area in a cross-lease, company lease or unit title subdivision that is not covered by an independent dwelling unit, the accessory buildings of that independent dwelling unit, or other area set aside for the exclusive use of the occupants of that independent dwelling unit.
The number of independent dwelling units or residential allotments established within a given nett developable area.
Has the same meaning as defined in section 197 of the Local Government Act 2002 varied to the extent that it includes land required for the specified purposes.
network utility (network utilities)
Any activity relating to:
- Distribution or transmission by pipe line of natural or manufactured gas, petroleum or geothermal energy;
- Telecommunication or radiocommunication;
- Transformation, transmission, or distribution of electricity;
- The holding, transmission and distribution of water, (whether treated or untreated) for supply, including irrigation;
- Stormwater treatment (including stormwater reserve) drainage or sewerage reticulation systems;
- Construction, operation and maintenance of railway lines, tramways and roads;
- Construction, operation and maintenance of an airport as defined by the Airport Authorities Act 1966, including the provision of any approach control service within the meaning of the Civil Aviation Act 1990;
- Lighthouse, navigation aids, beacons, signal stations and natural hazard emergency warning devices;
- Meteorological services;
- A project or work described as a ‘network utility operation’ by regulations made under the Resource Management Act 1991;
- Construction, operation and maintenance of power generation schemes;
- All structures necessary for the operation of the network utility services;
- The operation and maintenance of the network utility service.
- Amateur radio configuration.
ngati kahu kaumatua dwelling unit
Means a dwelling unit of not more than 50m2 gross floor area erected within the Ngati Kahu Papakainga Zone. The dwelling unit must contain no more than 3 habitable rooms.
That period between 2200 hours (10pm) and 0700 hours (7am).
noise sensitive activities
Means buildings or parts of buildings used for, or intended to be used for the following purposes:
- Residential activity;
- Visitor accommodation;
- Schools and tertiary education premises;
- Health centre.
A person or organisation not meeting the definition of an exempted party.
Any activity not defined as a residential activity or a temporary activity and may include any business activity, industrial activity, home-based business activity, visitor accommodation or homestay.
Means a tree listed in Appendix 6E: Notable Tree Register which forms part of the landscape character of an area, or the City and scores 130 points (for native trees) or 150 points (for exotic trees) or more, when assessed against the Standard Tree Evaluation Method (STEM) criteria.
A line 20 metres from any side of any dwelling in Rural Zones or the legal boundary where this is closer than 20 metres.
NZVD16 datum or New Zealand Vertical Datum 2016
The orthometric datum commonly used in this region. It is based upon mean sea level as established by the Lands and Survey department. All Council and Land Information New Zealand Benchmarks for the City are based on this datum. All reduced level (RL) and contour lines required under the Plan must be related to this datum. Mean Sea Level is a fixed datum, as opposed to the Mean Level of Sea which may vary due to environmental processes.